Friday, May 21, 2010

FREDERICK DINKELBERG. O'Connor and Goldberg

This post was intended to be a description of the 1904 Heyworth Building at 29 East Madison --- one of Daniel Burnham's Chicago School gems designed by Frederick Dinkelberg. (And we'll get there, I promise.) But while editing the photos I realized that a diversion was in order: a closer look at Frederick Dinkelberg's 1917 storefront renovations for O'Connor and Goldberg Shoes at 23 East Madison (just west of the Heyworth's main entrance). Quite a shoe store, I'd say.
.







Another of Dinkelberg's storefronts renovations can be found on the Railway Exchange.  At the entrance of the Archicenter.

Earlier in my career I spent quite a bit of time designing storefronts for regional shopping centers -- and thought I was pretty good at it.  But nothing in my portfolio compares to this.

______________________________

FOR MORE CHICAGO ARCHITECTURE, SCULPTURE AND PHOTOGRAPHY
BEGIN AT

______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment