Marshall Field & Company wasn't built in a day. The first construction on the block bounded by State, Randolph, Wabash, and Washington was begun in 1892. The final segment, at the southwest corner of Wabash and Randolph was constructed in 1914. Above is the North Atrium, located near the corner of State and Randolph, constructed in 1902. The North Atrium anchors the Grand Arcade that parallels State Street and displays 13 floors of retail sales area This mastery of vertical and horizontal space is also evident at Chicago's Field Museum and Union Station, later projects also designed by Peirce Anderson.